Sr. Robotics Engineer
Near Earth Autonomy is looking for engineers eager to create a future where autonomous aircraft are commonplace and safe. Our technology enables aircraft ranging in scale from sub-meter to full scale to autonomously inspect, map, survey, and transport. We are serious about system design, development, and real-world testing, and delivering to customers working, useful systems.
Sr. Robotics Engineer
Responsibilities and Duties
Robotics engineers at Near Earth develop, refine and deploy perception, motion planning, localization, mapping, SLAM, and/or calibration algorithms for aerial mobility and inspection applications. Senior engineers integrate these onto robotics platforms that range from small quadcopters to full size helicopters. Senior engineers provide technical leadership to guide projects through the complete lifecycle from conception through production, whether through leading teams or through subject matter expertise.
We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated, independent thinkers, passionate about state-of-the-art technology; also self-starting, empathetic team players, and strong communicators. The ideal candidate for this position can multitask effectively, is comfortable working on a quick development tempo, and most importantly enjoys bringing new autonomy technology to life.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Robotics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 6+ years’ industry experience in robotics or autonomous flight domains
- Expertise or specialization in one or more of the following robotics subject areas:
- motion planning
- computer vision / robotic perception
- state estimation
- systems integration and test
- Working knowledge of mobile robot systems, suitable for easily integrating new software and diagnosing potential problems
- Good C++ design and programming skills
- Experience with lidar, vision (camera), radar, ranging radio, or other sensing modalities
- Familiarity with software engineering practices and software development life cycle
- Familiarity with development in a Linux environment
Preferred Additional Skills
- Masters or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Experience with ROS or ROS2
- Experience with field testing of robotic systems
- Experience with UAVs, or aviation more broadly
- Experience designing modular, testable, and extensible C++ APIs
- Experience leading teams and/or mentoring engineers
- Proven ability to lead technical development on a project within schedule and budget constraints
- Total compensation package compatible with qualification
- 401(k) plan
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Life insurance; long-term and short-term disability benefits
Due to the nature of our federal contracts, this position is subject to successful completion of a background check.