Sr. Electrical Engineer
Near Earth Autonomy is creating a future where autonomous flight is commonplace and safe. Our technology enables aircraft ranging in scale from sub-meter to full scale to autonomously transport and inspect. We are serious about system design, development, real-world testing, and delivering high-performance products to customers. We are looking for highly motivated individuals to help us realize this vision. Visit nearearth.aero to learn more about how you can help create the future of autonomous aviation.
Near Earth is looking for a Sr. Electrical Engineer with a focus on developing electronics and embedded systems to join our hardware development group. The ideal candidate has experience in and a passion for productizing advanced technologies for aerospace applications. The candidate possesses an affinity for leading technical efforts in their respective field of expertise, advising management and project technical leads on technical solutions and adoption of cutting edge technologies, and leading and mentoring junior engineering staff.
- Design printed circuit boards, including schematic capture and layout
- Research and select module and board level components
- Design and diagram wire harness/cable assemblies and track through life cycle
- Develop electrical system documentation including chassis wiring diagrams
- Coordinate with mechanical, firmware, and software engineers
- Oversee prototype fabrication, including performing bring-up, debugging, and rework
- Maintain documentation, component library, and design library
- Work with production team to transfer system designs in conformance with quality standards
- Support and perform hardware verification and validation, including EMC/EMI/ESD testing, thermal testing, etc. as needed.
- Support field teams with debugging emerging problems
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline with 5+ years of experience.
- Significant experience designing, procuring, testing, and debugging custom electronic modules and printed circuit board assemblies containing analog, digital, and mixed signal devices and integrated circuits.
- Experience in productizing electronic technologies for robustness, performance, reliability and safety in aerospace environments.
- An understanding of cameras, lidar sensor systems, computing, microprocessors, and high speed data bases.
- Significant experience with ECAD, such as Altium Designer
- Circuit simulation experience using Spice
- Second nature familiarity with laboratory test equipment such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, etc.
- Experience designing and documenting electrical signal interconnect such as cable assemblies and wire harnesses
- Good communication skills with cross-functional teams and vendors
- Responsible, detail-oriented engineer who is a team player and excited life-long learner
- Flexible, can multitask, comfortable working on a quick development tempo, and enjoy bringing new autonomy technology to life
Preferred Additional Skills
- Experience designing systems for the aerospace industry (avionics)
- CID certification
- ISO-9000/1/2 fluency
- Experience developing quality system workflows and documentation control protocols for commercial electronics products to conform to industry standards
- Experience with MCAD, such as Solidworks
- Experience with a hardware description language such as Verilog, VHDL, etc.
- Embedded software development experience with C/C++
- Experience with system integration using embedded Linux
- Experience with team leadership or mentorship
- Base competence in RF design
Benefits and Perks
- Total compensation package with salary and stock options compatible with qualification.
- 401(k) plan.
- Health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Life insurance; long-term and short-term disability benefits.
Due to the nature of our federal contracts, this position is subject to successful completion of a background check.