Systems and Test Technician
Systems and Test Technician
Near Earth Autonomy is creating a future where autonomous flight is commonplace and safe. Our technology enables aircraft ranging in scale from sub-meter to full scale to fly autonomously for inspection and mobility applications. We are serious about system design, development, real-world testing, and delivering high-performance products to customers. We are looking for highly motivated individuals to help us realize this vision. Visit nearearth.aero to learn more about how you can help create the future of autonomous aviation.
We are looking for an energetic, motivated and self-driven technician with a desire to grow technically and professionally. Supporting our prototyping and small-volume production operations as well as our engineering design teams, this role includes system configuration (‘bring-up’), testing, calibration, troubleshooting, and problem-solving. Additionally, this position will involve light electrical and mechanical design of test circuits, cables and test fixtures, assembly, and documentation of systems and work instructions.
- System bring-up, including installation of Linux operating systems, application software, drivers, firmware, computer networking, and sensor and actuator configuration and integration.
- Calibration and acceptance testing of advanced sensor and data processing hardware & software systems.
- System-level, board-level, and component-level troubleshooting of embedded systems and mixed signal PCBAs.
- Incoming inspection and test of sensors, PCBAs, and custom mechanical components.
- Documentation of work instructions, BOMs, test plans, test setups, and test results.
- Provide feedback to system designers, engineers, and flight operations with suggestions for improved design and operation.
- Light electrical and mechanical design and building of test circuits, cables, and test fixtures.
- Participate in the development of Engineering and Production workflows and processes. Implement software tools to run those processes.
Qualifications and Skills
- Energetic and self-driven with the initiative and curiosity to seek and find answers rather than wait for them to be provided.
- Ability to thrive in a sometimes hectic environment with flexibility to adapt to changing requirements and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills.
- Associate degree or higher in electronics, computer science, engineering technology, information technology, or similar discipline. Equivalent industry experience will also be considered.
- Experience working in engineering, production engineering or R&D environment.
- Ability to read electrical schematics.
- Comfortable with Linux system configuration, including OS installation, networking, boot, and device configuration.
- Experience with configuring network equipment, including managed switches and routers.
- Experience with test and measurement equipment such as multimeters, power supplies, oscilloscopes, function generators, data logger, and analyzers.
- Experience in soldering and wiring; IPC-J-STD-001 certification a plus.
- Fluency in office software, including MS Windows, MS Office apps, Google apps such as Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Familiarity with CAD/ECAD software, such as Altium or Solidworks.
- Familiarity with autonomy system sensors such as GNSS, lidar, IMU, camera, and radar.
- Experience with 3D printing of jigs, fixtures, and other parts.
- Familiarity with motors and motor controllers.
- Experience with issue tracking and collaboration platforms such as Jira and Confluence.
- Familiarity with BASH and Python scripting.
- Familiarity with JTAG debugging.
- Familiarity with PCBA inspection standards such as IPC-A-610.
- Familiarity with software deployment tools such as Ansible and Docker.
- Familiarity with serial terminal emulation software and supporting hardware.
- Compensation compatible with qualifications
- 401(k) plan
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Life insurance; long-term and short-term disability benefits
Due to the nature of our federal contracts, this position is subject to successful completion of a background check